Remote mentorship opportunity

Hey!

One of my friends at the Recurse Center - Pedro Baumann Cornejo - is running a non-profit Vía Código, in Lima, Perú, that helps incarcerated juvenile delinquents develop as people and learn webdev skills. They are doing a call for mentors and I offered to repost it here, if anyone is interested :slight_smile:

Info from Pedro:
This is a presentation I did on the subject while at RC.

Right now Vía Código is starting its mentoring program, and that’s where we are looking for developers that want to commit to helping us with these teens.

Why mentors?

For teens that spend their teenage years locked up in inhumane conditions, code is opening a new world to them. Still, being ostracized from society, they feel what they are doing is just a distraction and will not get them anywhere. They will still be judged by what they did.

We want to connect them with the world, teach them that code opens new frontiers they didn’t realize; not only to the tech world, but the wider world. We want to help them develop broader aspirations.

What do I have to do as a mentor?

As a mentor, you will have to write back and forth with them at a monthly rate, we ask for a handwritten letter (you can send it as a picture or scanned document), and our team would help you in case you are not sure about what you want to say to them.

What do I write about?

You would have to write about things that you think can help them relate with you. It doesn’t matter if it’s videogames, hip-hop, webdev or career anecdotes. All of this helps.

If you apply and are chosen, we would work with you so you feel comfortable when writing to the alums. Our team would also be available for you.

Do I need to know Spanish?

The alums don’t speak English, but we are willing to accept Google Translate letters, if you feel comfortable with it, we do as well!

We have already 5 mentor candidates, we need 7 more!

If you are interested or have more questions, write to me at pedro@viacodigo.com.